Monday, March 14, 2011

Blog Assignment 8

We need to use technology, like presented in the picture to help children retain knowledge. Here is an good example: a boy taking a quiz on his computer.


This is How We Dream Part 1 and 2
This was a really great video. I loved the visual accompaniments. For me, this put everything that Richard Miller was saying into perspective. Miller's thoughts, presented in this video were thought inspiring. I saw the change in our workspace that he presented in the beginning of the video. You grow up with books, any publications or contributions you make to society will be books. Libraries and paper were our confined workplace. We could only work where we have the materials to do so. This has all changed with the invention of things such as Google Docs, where you're workplace is wherever you are. The one restriction is you need a computer. In this age, I don't think you need to worry much about computer shortages. Like Miller stated, "Now, our workplace is the desktop". He later stated, "We don't have to step one foot in the library".
The title of the video confused me at first. "This is How We Dream?" That was my exact thought process. I wasn't sure if this was going to be a video with a psychological aspect, which wouldn't have exactly fit the class. These dreams, that Miller is presenting, are the openminded people of society's dreams for our technological future. We already see such great changes being made with the new technological tools presented to us. Even with these, we haven't seen technology's full potential in our classroom. I agree with Miller when he says we don't have the proper resources to do what he sees in our future. We can't do what we will be able to do, after becoming more openminded, in the future. This thought is blowing my mind and I can't possibly put what I'm thinking into a sentence that makes sense. Please forgive me if you can't follow what I'm saying. The resources we need are inspirational teachers and places to foster our creativity. As future teachers, we need to become these inspirational teachers that Miller says we need to be.
I have to say that at this second I am not ready to write with multimedia. I am somewhat prepared, but there are so many technological tools that I haven't been introduced to or learned how to use. I think once I get done with EDM 310, I will be closer to the goal that Miller has established in my heart, but the rest is up to me to find. I have to want this, I do want this. My yearn for this future he speaks of will reach my students, then they will be able to do incredible things. This is my promise.

The Chipper Series and EDM 310 for Dummies
When class first started, I watched these videos. They were so cute, yet so true. It was also kind of eye opening. At the beginning of the class, I said I would never become Chipper, but I'm starting to see that if I don't fix what I've done I will become her. Although, I wouldn't do what she ends up doing. EDM310 for Dummies was funny and I think if that book was to become real, it would help a lot of people.
As for video ideas, I think it would be cool to make updated versions of these videos. We could also make more videos that show how to master this class and what could happen to you if you don't perform like your supposed to do. For example, we could do a video of that school scenario Dr. Strange talked about on the first day of class.

Learn to Change, Change to Learn
It is very beneficial to watch this video. I'm so glad that Christie Odom suggested it. It raises such great arguments for us, future teachers. I was a little surprised to see that education ranked 55th in the US Department of Commerce's study. I say "a little" because we see that classrooms are basic "pen and paper" learning environments. Only in the recent past have we seen a slight change. After being in this class for a while, the fact that education ranked so low isn't much of a surprise. The "little" surprise comes from the fact that we are below such things as coal mining.
As I was watching the video, I made a list of all of the statements that stood out to me. Without looking at the list, I remember three things:

  • "A turned off device is a turned off child."
  • We need to connect students to opportunities.
  • Learning isn't just memorizing.
For the last two points, I don't remember the exact quotes, but the message stood out to me. The speakers in the video recognize that technology is a big part of student's lives now. We learn best with technology, so forcing us to turn off the things that could help us sets restrictions that shut us down. This turns students off to learning. Another point is connecting students to opportunities. Teachers can't just set restrictions by prohibiting the use of technology. Restrictions are set for students because they are restricted to the classroom. To fight this restriction, teachers need to take students outside of the classroom for field experience. They also need to open doors for students. For example, a student is particularly knowledgeable in science and interested in engineering. A teacher could find someone for  the student to talk to. The last point should have stuck out to everyone in EDM310. Learning is not "burp back". It's also not memorizing. After hearing that point, I heard Dr. Strange's voice in my head. My mind traveled back in time to his presentation of "burp back" teaching, probably because I was volunteered for the demonstration.

The Secret Powers of Time and Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates You
Both of these videos were very interesting and aesthetically pleasing. I enjoyed the little whiteboard cartoons being drawn on the screen as the lecture was playing. They helped hammer the points into my mind. I also showed the videos to other people, who really enjoyed them.

The Secret Powers of Time is a lecture by Philip Zambardo. He talks about six time zones. At first, I thought he was going to say the time zones, that we all know. Really, he was talking about the two past, present, and future time zones.

  • Past Positive
  • Past Negative
  • Present Hedonistic
  • Present Fatalist
  • Future Oriented
  • Future Transcendent
Past Positive and Negative are the easiest to time zones to define. A person either is nostalgic, Past Positive, or regretful and happy with the past, Past Negative. A lot of people are classified as Present Hedonistic. These people are interested in immediate pleasure and avoiding pain. People classified as Present Fatalistic believe that their future already has a fate. There is no need to plan. Usually, they believe that their future is fated for the worst. Future Oriented people are planners and goal makers. While, people classified as Future Transcendent believe true life begins after death.

 The title of Dan Pink's video was very true. The results of the experiment presented were surprising, at least to me. When challenges require mechanical skill to be completed, rewards such as money make people perform better. When challenges require cognitive skills, money doesn't work. We can picture this scenario in a classroom, replacing money with another incentive comparable to money. When teachers challenge students to use cognitive skills, we need to step aside and let them command what is done. They need to be in charge. Teachers give the instruction, the raw knowledge needed to perform, but then step aside to let the students take the wheel.

1 comment:

  1. Alexa,

    I definitely agree with your thoughts in this post. One thing that you said really stuck out to me, and it was that "the resources we need are inspirational teachers and places to foster our creativity." You then provide many ways for teachers to inspire their students and foster their creativity. I am happy to see that you understand the importance of technology in the classroom, and I also agree that teachers need to create opportunities for students instead of restricting them. We have to find ways to connect to our students, and it is our job to help our students succeed in this rapid changing world.

    ReplyDelete