Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Blog Assignment 2

This is an image of students using mac books in their classroom. This is just some of the technological tools that students need now and in the future to benefit their learning.


1. Did You Know? 3.0
This video was so interesting and a little scary to me. It was really fascinating to see the differences in technology through the years. The video further proved to me that technology is very important in the classroom. To me its important for two reasons. The first reason is that it will further the students learning.

The second reason plays on the first reason. The video stated that we need technology for the problems and job opportunities that are going to appear that we never imagined. The world is growing. With technology, students will be prepared to fix problems that may appear in the future. Also, the technology skills they acquire could help them with a new job or even help create a new job that didn't exist. The video blew my mind and kind of made me nervous for the future. I'm nervous about the unknown. So much has happened in the years, things that we never really thought could happen. History is going to repeat itself. Things are going to happen in the future that will surprise us. My job is to educate and prepare children, our future leaders.

2. Mr. Winkle Wakes
Mr. Winkle Wakes was not what I had expected it to be. Before watching the video, I wasn't sure what I was in for except a small cartoon man. Mr. Winkle Wakes is a humorous story about Rip Van Winkle waking up after one hundred years. He feels uncomfortable in the technologically advanced business building and hospital. Unaware of the good technology can do, he feels at home in a boring, basic classroom.

After watching this video, I realized that I could compare myself to Mr. Winkle. No, I didn't just wake up from a one hundred year "nap". However, I did have my eyes opened to technology in classrooms. My whole life, I have seen the benefits of technology in business and hospitals. The only technology I have known in school is the 30-minute computer class I was fortunate to have once a week. When I was in elementary school, I loved that one day that I got to go to computer class. What Mr. Winkle needs to realized and what I have realized is that school doesn't have to be the way we have always known it. Not only will technology help students academically, but it will also help the bored, sluggish kids that we see in the vide enjoy learning! They will be excited to go to school and have a will to learn.

3. Sir Ken Robinson: The Importance of Creativity
Ken Robinson has become an inspiration to me because of his message. Simply put, Ken Robinson believes in children. He sees the importance of creativity and their imagination. He also notices that schools tend to discourage the creativity of children, while strongly emphasizing the importance of strict schooling. I agree whole-heartedly with Ken Robinson.

I believe, that as a future educator I can't discourage my future children from using their imagination and creativity in the classroom. I know that along with incorporating technology in my classroom, I need to use my imagination and the imagination of my students to make their learning experience the best it can be. I need to help them develop their talents more, rather than discourage them. I don't want to be the teacher angered by the girl drawing God or a teacher that just writes a student off as someone with ADHD. I will play on their personal strengths and help them to come over their weaknesses.

4. Cecelia Gault Interviews Sir Ken Robinson
First of all, I am so impressed with Cecelia. She seems to be such a smart girl and she carries herself so well. When I was her age, I probably would have been so intimidated interviewing a man like Ken Robinson. I wish to have students like Cecelia in my classroom.

Again, Ken Robinson interests me with his important information. This video brings me back to the points I made when talking about Ken Robinson's talk about creativity. Cecelia found a way to show her talents. I am going to help my students show theirs. I am going to incorporate the lessons I learn from this class, especially, as well as my other classes into my future classroom.

5. Vicki Davis: Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts
Vicki Davis presents two points that I think are very important. The first one is that only certain students will learn when school is broken down to just pencil and paper. I completely agree with this. This point reminds me of the argument for creativity by Ken Robinson. Only certain children will be able to learn in the basic format of schooling. Most students today are going to need technology and creativity to further themselves in their academic career. Like Ken suggested, Vicki pays attention to each student's particular talents and helps them learn through their talents.

The other important point to me was that new teachers make the mistake of thinking that they must know everything before they can teach their students. I connect with this thought because I have felt so overwhelmed about my future career. I did think that I had to know everything to effectively teach my students. When Vicki said that I had a sigh of relief. I think that its cool that she lets her students show her things that she didn't even know. She gives them basic training in technology, teaching them somethings and then letting them take the reigns. I am going to do this when I become a teacher.

2 comments:

  1. Technology provides us with the most powerful tools imaginable to access and process information. How can we deny these to our students?

    The changes we have seen are enough to make some people afraid. But there is even more to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alexa, I feel like Mr.Winkle because I never had technology in my previous schools besides typing,and I am almost more comfortable with the regular lectures.

    ReplyDelete