Sunday, April 3, 2011

Blog Assignment 10

An Open Letter To Educators
     Morgan's blog post on Dan Brown's video was very interesting. Also, it was very thought provoking and caused me to form three different comparisons. I compared Morgan's experience to mine, Morgan's experience to Dan's experience, and my experience to Dan's. After analyzing the comparisons I made, I realized that my experience and thoughts were very similar to Morgan's. 
    As Morgan puts it, I often feel cheated in our educational system. Like I said in my comment, I didn't fully realize this feeling of being cheated until setting foot in Dr. Strange's class. It's like the feeling was always there, but never fully present until Dr. Strange showed us what we have been enduring. I compare it to some kind of trance we are put into by the "institutionalized" school. Dr. Strange woke me up from that trance.
    Another thing Morgan and I agree on is the fact that we wouldn't resort to the extremes that Dan did. I see that some parts of our education system are flawed, but I would never fully give up on it. Yes, these flaws are hurting our education but not all teachers are like that. I promise! The teachers I "meet" everyday in this class are living proof. Dr. Strange is living proof! You have to look close, but the teachers are there. These teachers that are so unlike the "past teachers" are lighting the spark in the next generation of new teachers or leaders. The new generation is going to step out and never make a student feel the need to do what Dan did. I feel so strongly about this. I will never allow it to go that far. 
     Honestly, this class is showing me how to become a better teacher because it is showing me the best way to educate. There is no memorizing to simply forget, there is just learning. I love it and I know so many other students love it. 



Don't Let Them Take the Pencils Home
     This blog post was really enjoyable to read. It was also different compared to what I've been reading. I liked finding the meaning hidden in the dialogue. Even though these two educators were faced with a peculiar problem, there argument in there discussion is so important to our careers. We need to engage students. By interesting them, we give them a little bit of the reigns. In my opinion, giving the children a little bit of the reigns is a good thing. The students know we are the educator and they are the student, but the reigns symbolizes them wanting to actively participate in what will shape their future. Students accepting the "reigns" will often find ways of learning on their own, without even realizing it. In this age, doing different things often results in a learning experience. 

I thought a picture of pencils would fit perfectly with my paragraph on Don't Let Them Take the Pencils Home.

1 comment:

  1. Did I say "Awake Ms. Winkle!"?

    "The new generation is going to step out and never make a student feel the need to do what Dan did." I hope so!

    "...there is just learning. I love it..." It shows! Well done!

    I think you understood that Tom Johnson's post Don't Let Them Take the Pencils Home was a metaphor in which pencils were computers. Congratulations! Only 6 of 129 students identified the post as a metaphor in which pencils were computers.Read my post Metaphors: What They Are and Why We Use Them (A Learning Opportunity). It contains a Special Assignment.

    ReplyDelete